Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Week 10 - It's Coming

Monday(03/09/2009):

Today I got to know one of the French girls in my my Celtic Religion and Mythology classes better, and she's really pretty friendly and cool. Here name is Renée, so she and my other Celtic Civ friend, John, and I are going to try and hang out soon. She originally thought I was German, not American, so while I'm very proud to be an American, I felt complimented to be confused with a German.

Saturday(03/13/2009):

So it's coming pretty soon. St. Patrick's Day that is. Cork is gearing up already with their annual St. Patrick's Day Festival, which lasts three days. Saturday, Sunday, and then Tuesday (St. Patrick's Day). All of Grand Parade (one of the main streets in Cork) is completely filled with basically a huge farmers market. Each inch of the street is filled with stalls selling literally every type of food you could think of (Chinese, Thai, bratwurst, crapes, fudge, donuts, ice cream, traditional irish, burgers, etc.), vendors selling their crafts and live music galore. They had two stages set up. On one stage they had rock bands playing, and on the other they had traditional Irish music and classical music. They kept rotating bands all day, and did the same on Sunday. I ended up getting some Thai noodles for lunch. From this place. That evening all of us went to go see our German friend, Ronan, in a comedy that his theatrical troop was doing. We found out when we got there that The Good Person of Szechwan, was indeed a comedy, but that the underlying themes were to show capitalism as flawed. The programs were actually mostly anarchist flyers, with the exception of the list of the cast and crew, but I kinda just ignored most of this, and the play was very enjoyable, and the cast did a great job.

Sunday(03/14/2009):

On Sunday Shawn and I went back to the festival and got bratwurst rolls with fried and caramelized onions for lunch. They were incredibly delicious (I can't wait for Germany and Currywurst!). We listened to some bands, and one of them, Ian Whitty & The Exchange, impressed me enough that I bought their CD. They were a rock band, but they also had a fiddle and cello incorporated into them, and with a touch of traditional Irish music in their music made them rather good in my opinion. Besides just working on some of my Spring break travel plans, and then firming up some things for Mark's visit in two weeks (which I'm highly pumped for) I just did homework for most of this week, so sorry, but I really don't have anything else too interesting to talk about.

No comments:

Post a Comment